I bought the most marvelous down comforter while we lived in Germany several years ago. I recently had a close look at it and decided it needed a good clean.
There are varying opinions on how to clean a down comforter, one way is dry cleaning. Because I’m cheap er-frugal, I resolved to try another route: the laundromat method!
Here’s what I did:
- Took my comforter to our local laundromat (it was too big to fit into my own washing machine).
- Washed the comforter, adding only a little of my all-natural detergent (bought specially for the delightful occasion). Used the gentle cycle, and ran two extra rinses.
- Stuffed the comforter into a dryer, and put it on a low-heat setting.
- Added a couple of tennis balls. No, that’s not a typo; testimony from the experts, folks. Tennis balls, dryer balls, sneakers (clean ones), if popped into the dryer with your comforter will separate the clumps of down as it dries.
- Removed the comforter from the dryer a couple of times during the process to give it a good shake and fluff-up.
What I took with me to the laundromat:
- Three tennis balls
- iPad for some serious surfing, I mean reading. Ah, kid-free time… 🙂
- Snack. ‘Nough said.
- Spot cleaning solution
I discovered that comforters only need to be cleaned every three to five years. I now know to spot clean it using alcohol-free wipes.
There you have it; how to clean your down comforter!